I recently subscribed to a vegan meal service called Purple Carrot. I have done meal services in the past and for one reason or another I decided they weren’t for me. Changing up your diet to plant-based can definitely have its challenges in the beginning and the biggest challenge for me is that I often feel stifled in the kitchen. I find myself making the same meal over and over again so I thought incorporating a meal service while I adjust to eating vegan again would be a good idea.
So far I am really liking Purple Carrot. They have introduced me to some new products that I didn’t know about and even if I don’t end up continuing with them after a while I will have learned some great recipes. Tonight’s meal was a home run! It is a healthier version of the classic canned tomato soup and grilled cheese that you ate growing up. Going forward I will always make my tomato soup like this even if I do add dairy back into my diet eventually. It was so yummy. When it says two servings it really is only two smaller bowls of soup so I recommend doubling the recipe if you like to have seconds or are feeding more than two. If you’re interested in trying out purple carrot to add some more plant-based meals to your diet they do offer $20 off your first week.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- ¼ cup cashews
- 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 5.5 oz coconut milk
- 1 ancient grain roll
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- ¼ oz fresh basil
- 2 tbsp vegan parmesan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F to warm bread in step 4. Peel and chop the garlic. Peel and roughly chop the shallot.
- Place a large pot over medium heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. Once hot, add the chopped garlic and shallot and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cashews, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, and ¼ cup water to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer soup for 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully pour the soup into the blender and blend until smooth. Season tomato soup with salt and pepper.
- Halve the ancient roll lengthwise and toast directly on the rack in the oven until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Halve the avocado, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh. Once the bread is toasted, spread the avocado onto the toasted bread, and top with hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, and a pinch of salt.
- Slice the seeded avocado toast. Hand tear the basil leaves. Divide the creamy tomato soup between large bowls. Top with basil and parmesan and serve with seeded avocado toast on the side.