Yesterday I went to Niagara Produce and stocked up on vegetables. I realized as I was leaving that I may have been a tad overzealous when it came to the amount of carrots I bought, so I was on a mission to make an entree out of them. I received a Vitamix for our wedding and thought what a perfect time of year to make a carrot pureed soup in that. I added the pumpkin since it’s Fall and this soup was delicious!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger- peeled and minced (you can add more if you like a bite)
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 in. chunks
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- pinch of curry powder
- pinch of cumin
- 2 bay leafs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sugar in the raw (sprinkle on top to serve)
- nutmeg (grate on top to serve)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion, ginger, and garlic; saute for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the broth, water, carrots, cumin, curry powder, bay leafs and pumpkin to the pot and heat until boiling.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until the carrots are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor (I had to do mine in two batches)
- Season salt and pepper, nutmeg and sugar to taste.