Last night I had a serious carb craving and made this easy soup to try to satisfy it. I just ate it again for dinner tonight and it is so yummy. I never measure with spices so I usually just sprinkle, taste and add more if I think it needs it. I will try to be more mindful of how much I am actually using going forward. This soup didn’t have a ton of broth, my husband said it reminded him more of a chili which he liked. Extremely filling and easy to freeze! Also I use mostly organic ingredients especially when it comes to produce, but I don’t always label that in the recipes because that is up to you. Hope you’re all having a good week!
- 4 yellow carrots- peeled and chopped
- 4 sticks of celery- chopped
- Grapeseed oil
- 1 cup of brown lentils
- 1 medium sweet onion- diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I used the pre-minced kind because I was feeling lazy)
- 32oz box of organic veggie broth
- 1 28 oz can of organic diced Roma tomatoes (this is all I had a smaller can would work great too)
- Handful of spinach
- Chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- Start by drizzling some grapeseed oil over a medium sized saucepan over medium to high heat. Place the onions in the skillet and let cook for 5-7 minutes or until they start turning clear.
- Add the garlic and spices (chili powder, adobo, cumin, salt and pepper) stir well and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the diced carrots and onions and let simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes and lentils, stir, reduce heat to meat low, cover and let cook for 25-30 minutes or until the veggies and lentils are cooked through. Add a handful of uncooked spinach to each hot soup bowl you serve.
One thought on “Easy lentil soup”
Great post 😁