I have always shied away from picking the larger zucchini out of my dad’s garden. I prefer the smaller to medium sized ones. However my dad convinced me that the large ones were just as good as long as you prepare it correctly. So he cut them into large slices and seasoned them and put them on the grill. He was right they were totally awesome. Last night after a weekend of eating lots of carbs and dairy my husband and I were in need of a lighter meal. These could be served as an appetizer or as a main dish. We had about 3 each and we were stuffed! The dish was bursting with delicious flavors and only took about 25 minutes to make!
- 1 medium red onion (large dices)
- 1 box of 13.4 oz cannellini beans (I highly recommend these!)
- 3 heaping tablespoons of minced garlic (I love garlic- you can use less if you prefer)
- 1 large zucchini (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- Italian seasonings (as needed)
- Garlic powder (as needed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinegar (as needed)
- Olive oil (as needed)
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (to taste)
- 8 cups loosely packed spinach
- Red chili pepper flakes (to taste)
- ¼ cup of filtered water
- Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
- In the meantime- take 3 teaspoons of olive oil and heat in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they start to caramelize, add the garlic and cook for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Take a deeper pan and put ¼ cups of water in it add the spinach and cover over low heat until spinach has wilted and immediately remove from heat.
- Add the beans, onion and garlic to the spinach and mix- add salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasonings to taste. Cover to keep warm.
- When the oven has heated up to 400 take the sliced zucchini and lightly baste in olive oil (Wegman’s basting oil would be really good!), drizzle balsamic vinegar, sprinkle garlic powder, and Italian seasonings. Do this to both sides of the zucchini.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes or until it’s fork tender, take out and add the tomatoes. Turn oven on a low broil and put back in for 5-7 minutes or until zucchini has started to brown and the tomatoes have started to roast.
- Take the spinach bean mixture and add to the to top of the zucchini, sprinkle parmesan cheese and red chili flakes!