When I was visiting my sister in NYC last month we had lunch at this cute restaurant. My sister Tess ordered the lentil salad and I immediately wished that I had ordered it as well. The arugula paired perfectly with the lentils and fresh squeezed lemon- such refreshing flavors! After eating poorly this past weekend I wanted something light for dinner and this salad seemed like the perfect option. This salad would also be amazing with sliced avocados. Lentils and Quinoa are full of fiber, whole grains, and protein! Quinoa is a fiber-rich whole grain as well as a complete protein, which means it contains all nine essential amino acids. As far as the quantity of each ingredients it’s a salad so its really just personal preference of how much you would like!
- 1 cup Inca red organic quinoa (cooked according to package directions; there will be leftovers)
- 1 cup dried green lentils (cook according to package directions; there will be leftovers)
- Organic grape tomatoes (cut into fours)
- Red onion (chopped to your preference)
- 1 large spear of organic asparagus (cut off the ends and wash)
- Sea salt to taste
- Organic arugula (the store didn’t have just arugula so I used a blend of arugula, spinach and radicchio)
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Start by cooking the quinoa and lentils according to package directions, Strain the lentils when they’re cooked and let cool. Pour the e.v.o.o on the cooked quinoa and let cool as well.
- Turn your grill on medium to high heat and spray with olive oil, spray the asparagus and place on grill, cover grill, let cook for five minutes and turn over and cook for five minutes and remove.
- Take the desired amount of arugula onto your plate, add the desired amount of quinoa, lentils, onion, tomatoes and asparagus onto your plate as well. Grate lemon zest over your plate, sprinkle with sea salt and ground pepper and squeeze lemon juice all over.