Hello all- it’s Tess, Taylor’s sister here, guest blogging today! My baby sis definitely has the magic touch in the kitchen, but I am trying to keep up with her! As mentioned in her previous posts, I am currently participating in the Healthy Bitch Daily Get Healthy Challenge, which has had me experimenting more in the kitchen. Yesterday I made a yummy red lentil and sweet potato stew- check out the recipe below.
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups split red lentils
- 1 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ box of organic baby kale
- Combine all ingredients except the kale in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. (I cooked mine for 9 hours, but it’s really a personal preference.)
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking, add the kale to slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker off.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. I topped my stew off with vegan white cheddar kale chips for a little crunch! Some fresh cilantro would also go nice.
Note: next time around I would add some celery to the stew and maybe a little less sweet potatoes. Some people may also prefer less garlic than I added, but I love it. Either way- it was delicious!