I absolutely love greens and lentils together. It is so hearty and healthy. I threw this recipe together last night and was delightfully surprised how well it turned out. I didn’t measure, but I am going to do my best to give you a good representation of the ingredients I used.
- 4 cups of dried lentils (I used a variety of green, red and regular)
- 4 cups of Swiss chard (“I buy the cleaned and pre-cut bag from Wegman’s”)
- 4 cups of collard greens (“”)
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 -28 oz. can of tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons chicken bullion/fat
- 2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 3 tsp. pepper
- 3 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Italian seasonings
- 4 celery sticks diced
- 10 cups of water (I didn’t measure this so if you need to add more water along the way- please do)
- 2 tablespoons e.v.o.o
1.) Start by pouring the water into a large pan, along with the bullion and bring to a rapid boil. Add the lentils, red chili flakes, Italian seasonings, salt, pepper and tomato puree to the water.
2.) Cover the pot, reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally.
3.) Take a a separate non-stick skillet and add the e.v.o.o, set to medium-high heat. Add the onions and let them cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the celery and let cook for 5 more minutes and then the garlic, stir frequently. Let the garlic cook for about 2 minutes and then add the mixture into the pot of lentils.
4.) Let the pot of lentils cook for about 25 minutes (check the lentils to see when they’re getting soft.) When the lentil are just about done add the greens, and let cook for 5-10 more minutes.
5.) Serve and enjoy!
*Since I didn’t measure while making this, make sure you taste the broth along the way, if it needs more flavor simply sprinkle more salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, chicken bouillon if you need to!